Friday, May 7, 2010

A letter from Jordan

Here is a letter from Jordan. I will have to get better at posting them. :)


Hi family, how are you all??? We get to call home next Sunday for mother's day so I will call at around 1pm, if you have church then email me back and tell me what time I can call. This week was pretty adventurous, Never a dull moment in missionary work! We were teaching one of our investigators outside on a bench and we noticed alot of smoke so we ran over and there was a big fire!! I guess someone left a cigarette outside and it caught their couch on fire. The flames were higher than the apartment it was crazy. So we ran into her house and threw buckets of water onto the fire until the firemen got there. I forgot my camera again but next week maybe I will remember :/. Anyway the people who lived in the apartment were happy with us. And then last night we were stopped at a stoplight and a guy hit us at an estimated speed of 35-40 mph which totaled our car and the car in front of us. Got some cool pictures of that as well. The trunk was smashed right up to the back seat where I was sitting. We are all fine, It happened so fast I just remember hearing a squeal from the guys brakes and then I closed my eyes as glass flew everywhere. Thankfully they make the glass in a special way so it shatters really easily and doesnt cut too bad. Elder Jackson and Fryhoff have some whiplash and sore backs so the hospital was happy to prescribe lots of muscle relaxers and pain meds. They are pretty doped up right now but I'm fine, I don't have any whiplash or anything. We were wearing our seatbelts but we have some awesome guardian angels!! I had to get out of the other door because mine was busted in and I had glass in my shoes and hair haha. The guy who hit us was DUI or diabetic, I heard both from the policewoman but he wasn't in good shape. Right when we got hit an LDS off duty cop ran up because the guy who hit us was still pushing down the accelerator because he was in shock or something. So he jumped in the car and put the emergency brake on. He apologized later for the language he used trying to get the guy to turn off the car. He was like staring straight forward with his hands on the steering wheel shaking, blood on his neck and chest. I hope he's ok, an ambulance took him away on a stretcher. I think we are getting a new car today. The zone leaders were going to drive us to the mission office to get a truck but someone let the air out of their tires last night. So we have some Elders in our district driving us around right now until we can get a new car. Thanks for your prayers! They definetly are working. We had some cardboard "Armor of God" in the trunk that we liked to use for object lessons with kids. This time it got put into real use! We have some really awesome investigators right now, they are really receptive and keep committments which is awesome. We are trying to find an apartment for Candy to move into that is close to her work and doesnt have a male occupant so she can be baptized. Enrique has to work every Sunday so he can't go to church but he's way solid. He reads his Book of Mormon and asks great questions. Missionary work is way awesome! My spanish is improving, I can understand more of what the natives are saying. A new law got passed down here so that police can arrest suspected illegals and deport them. Our investigators were afraid to go to the temple tours at Gila Valley because they didn't wan't to go through any checkpoints. What will we do if all the spanish people get deported or move? I really don't want to be an english missionary. English people are like opposite of the Hispanics. But next transfer is the cuttoff of what mission I will be in. I could go to the New mexico mission. But I have to go , have a great week, love you! Elder Doughty

No comments:

Post a Comment